Tuesday 20 January 2009

About hope, my new job and Obama

It's been a while since I followed CNN, but getting out of your bubble physically (currently in a short trip to Guatemala, writing from the airport), does help realising there's a world outside. So I felt like I should read Obama's inaugural address - you know, to get some ideas since I feel I am as well starting a new era with the change of job (though the same company), the knowledge of being at last the girlfriend of my boyfriend and in general the state of the affairs inside of my head.

I do not have an opinion on Obama but it kinda feels good that somebody who seems to have a brain stepped into the biggest shoes on Earth. His choices might affect my everyday life - that's a fact. So there were three things I'd like to highlight about his speech. He said:

1) Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age.

Hard choices, tough decisions, that is what got my attention. Easy decisions can make you sail peacefully towards something that can turn on right or wrong - hey, it is the nicest path, let someone else decide... who will ever take ownership when it involves being also the responsible of a catastrophe?

2) On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear.

So fear leads to anger, anger leads to the dark side. It is not that simple. Recently I was in a period where I was not dreaming (on demand) because I tried to live reality. I have never been sadest in my life. Fear is not only not knowing what lies ahead, but being pretty sure shit has a decent possibility of happening. If a politician relies on hope to motivate his people, why can't I to motivate the hamster in my head?

3) We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.

Amen. It is not bad being a child in regards of enjoying life and making friends, but to 'choose our better history' is minding that what you do today does have an effect on the future. Karma, darma, schawarma.

4) Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions -- who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage.

And he talks about imagination meeting common purpose. I would say common sense though, and imagination comes again with the idea of dreaming.

Let's see. Let's hope. Let's dream.

No comments: